News and Updates
Considerations for Colleges and Universities as the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency Declaration Ends: ACHA has provided a list of issues for campuses to consider as multiple federal policy and regulatory flexibilities change when the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency ends on May 11, 2023. Read more. (March 1, 2023)
The COVID-19 Legal Landscape: ACHA's advocacy partner Active Policy Solutions created this state-by-state overview of how vaccination mandates are being implemented nationally in the U.S. (September 2022)
See ACHA's COVID-19 Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education, Fall 2022 [pdf] (originally posted July 11, 2022; updated August 15, 2022)
American College Health Association Recommends COVID-19 Booster Shot for All Students, Faculty, and Staff (December 21, 2021)
ACHA COVID-19 Guidelines and Briefs
- COVID-19 Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education, Fall 2022 (posted July 11, 2022)
- Updated Guidance on COVID-19 Management on Campus (January 19, 2022)
Updated COVID-19 Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education [pdf] (posted December 6, 2021)
Considerations for Reopening Institutions of Higher Education for the Fall Semester 2021 [pdf] (posted May 25, 2021)
- Considerations for Reopening Institutions of
Higher Education for the Spring Semester 2021 [pdf] (posted December 29, 2020)
- ACHA Brief: Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education as Students Return Home [pdf](posted October 29, 2020)
- Supporting Vulnerable Campus Populations During the COVID-19 Pandemic [pdf](posted August 20, 2020)
- Considerations for Reopening Institutions of Higher Education in the COVID-19 Era (posted May 7, 2020) Note: These guidelines have been replaced by the ACHA Guidelines: Considerations for Reopening Institutions of Higher
Education for the Spring Semester 2021 (see above).
- Preparing for COVID-19 [pdf] (posted March 3, 2020)
Checklists for Reopening Campus Medical Services Operations and Mental Health Service Operations
The ACHA COVID-19 Task Force has created two documents to assist with reopening operations, one specific to reopening medical services, and one to reopening mental health services. These resources were developed as a companion to the ACHA Guidelines: Considerations for Reopening Institutions of Higher Education in the COVID-19 Era, and are intended to assist directors and staff in assessing their readiness and preparation for reopening as well as serve as a guidepost for reinstituting and modifying services in the changed world of COVID-19.
The Impact of COVID-19 on College Student Well-Being
ACHA, in collaboration with the Healthy Minds Network, developed a new set of survey items related to students’ experiences with the COVID-19
pandemic. The new items focused on students’ attitudes, concerns, preventive behaviors, and their perceived supportiveness of colleges and universities related to COVID-19. View a brief data report which presents results from 18,764 students on 14 campuses that participated in the surveys from late March through May 2020.
ACHA Survey Reports on COVID-19's Impact on IHEs and Campus Response, Planning, and Needs
- Pulse Survey: What Campuses Are Saying about COVID-19 as We Approach 2022 (conducted November 11–22, 2021)
- Pulse Survey: Campus COVID-19 Management, Fall Term 2021-22 (conducted September 14–27, 2021)
- Pulse Survey: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements (conducted April 19–23, 2021)
- Pulse Survey: Mass Vaccination Efforts (conducted March 15–19, 2021)
- Lessons Learned from Fall 2020 (conducted January 8–20, 2021)
- October 9 though October 30, 2020
- August 4 through August 8, 2020
- June 2 through June 5, 2020
- April 6 through April 9, 2020
Weekly Update Archives from COVID-19 Task Force
Archived Webinars, Q&As, and Events
HECCOP and CoVAC Webinars and Events
See current and archived webinars here.
Webinars, Workshops, and Q&As
ACHA COVID-19 Task Force “Ask the Experts”: Critical COVID-19 Issues - Take Two and Beyond
Recorded September 24, 2021
Let's Talk Campus Vaccines: Routine, COVID-19, and Everything in Between
Recorded March 5, 2021. Hosted by American College Health Foundation with support from GlaxoSmithKline.
ACHF Webinar: Case Studies: Best Practices in Sexual Health Promotion and Clinical Care in the COVID-19 Era
Recorded November 13, 2020. Sponsored by ACHF with support from Hologic.
ACHA COVID-19 Task Force “Ask the Experts”: Creating Support Systems for Students in Isolation and Quarantine
Recorded November 6, 2020
ACHA COVID-19 Task Force “Ask the Experts”: Contact Tracing, Isolation and Quarantine—Systems for Small, Medium, and Large Colleges and Universities
Recorded October 23, 2020
ACHA COVID-19 Task Force “Ask the Experts”: SARS-CoV-2 Testing
Recorded October 9, 2020
CDC and ACHA COVID-19 Task Force “Ask the Experts”: Wastewater Surveillance
Recorded September 25, 2020
View Here Download Slides
ACHF Webinar: (Re)Introducing Best Practices in Sexual Health Promotion and Clinical Care in the COVID-19 Era
Recorded September 25, 2020. Sponsored by ACHF with support from Hologic.
ACHA Reopening Guidelines Q&A: Focus on Contact Tracing
Recorded May 29, 2020
ACHA Reopening Guidelines Q&A: Focus on Housing
Recorded May 22, 2020
Reopening Campus Q&A: A General Overview of the ACHA Guidelines
Recorded May 15, 2020
Public Health and College Health Working Together: Q&A
Recorded May 1, 2020
COVID-19 Q&A: Topical Issues
Recorded April 17, 2020
NFID COVID-19 Update: Preparedness and Response on U.S. College Campuses
Recorded April 15, 2020. Co-hosted by ACHA.
Mental Health in the COVID-19 Era: Q&A
Recorded April 3, 2020
Telehealth in the COVID-19 Era: Q&A
Recorded March 27, 2020
Update on COVID-19: Q&A
Recorded March 20, 2020
ACHA COVID-19 Webinar: Updates, Resources, and Guidelines
Recorded March 18, 2020. Hosted in partnership with Association of Fraternity/Sorority Advisors (AFA), the American College Health Association (ACHA) and the Association of College Unions International (ACUI).
COVID-19 Virtual Summits
Mass Vaccination Guidance and Resources
The ACHA COVID-19 task force has gathered this list of resources to assist members in planning for mass vaccination clinics. See also this message from ACHA leadership regarding advocacy for SARS-CoV-2 vaccination of college health professionals.
CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Resources
CDC’s COVID-19 Vaccination Information for Healthcare Professionals and Jurisdictions provides information on:
- Product Info by US Vaccine
- Clinical Considerations
- Provider Requirements and Support
- Training and Education
- Recipient Education
- Planning & Partnerships
- Vaccination Toolkits
- COVID-19 Vaccination Reporting Data Systems
At the above link, see the following items which may be especially useful for campuses and campus health centers:
COVID-19 Vaccination Communication Toolkit for Medical Centers, Clinics, and Clinicians
This toolkit includes ready-made materials you can use to inform your healthcare teams and other staff.
V-safe After Vaccination Health Checker
V-safe is a smartphone-based tool that uses text messaging and web surveys to provide personalized health checks after someone receives the COVID-19 vaccine. Once registered, the vaccine recipient will receive a daily text reminder to check in and answer survey questions about health. Depending on their answers, someone from CDC may call. V-safe will also remind recipients when to get the follow-up vaccination.
FDA COVID-19 Vaccine Updates and Resources
FDA provides updates and information on vaccines that have received emergency use authorization (EUA). See “COVID-19 Vaccines Authorized for Emergency Use” for more information on common side effects, fact sheets for health care providers administering vaccine, and FAQs for each of the vaccines that have received EUA.
Immunization Action Coalition (IAC)
This page provides links to key COVID-19 vaccine resource
pages from IAC, CDC, and other partners.
See also: COVID-19 mRNA Vaccines: What Clinic Personnel Need to Know
- CDC Data Tracker: Find maps and charts tracking cases, deaths, and trends of COVID-19 in the United States, updated daily by 8 pm ET.
Provides retrospective counts of new U.S. cases by date.
- COVIDView: A weekly surveillance summary of U.S. COVID-19 activity. The report summarizes and interprets key indicators including information related to COVID-19 outpatient visits, emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths, as well as laboratory data.
Information and Resources for Campuses
See also ACHA Resources above.
CDC Considerations for Institutions of Higher Education
This guidance is intended to help administrators of public and private institutions of higher education (IHE) prevent the spread of COVID-19 among students, staff, and faculty. Includes guidance on:
- Testing in Institutions of Higher Education
- Guidance for Student Foreign Travel
CDC Communication Resources
CDC offers free resources including video, fact sheets, and posters. See this page to access current communication tools and resources available for use and distribution.
Information for Travelers